Urban Assembly School for Green Careers Grading Policy

UACG’s grading policy is designed with the following tenets in mind:

·      At UAGC, the purpose of grades is to provide students with concrete feedback about their progress on transparent learning targets that are aligned to Common Core and New York State standards.

·      Student work provides teachers with evidence of progress and information about areas in which students need additional support.

·      Students must be allowed to have multiple opportunities to demonstrate proficiency in learning outcomes. This means providing students with:

o   Multiple assessments for learning outcomes

o   Opportunities to revisit, refine, and revise work

o   Opportunities for students who are late or absent to demonstrate proficiency


At UAGC, grade distribution is based on:

Formative assessments are assessments that focus on the process of learning and on continued growth. In accordance with the tenets above, 75% of a student’s grade is formative assessment. Summative assessments are those that measure the acquisition of specific knowledge, skills, or understanding. These comprise the remaining 25% of a student’s grade at UAGC.

The chart below is the recommended grade distribution, though teachers may have slightly different distributions for their classes. Note that the first four categories are formative assessments and that the corresponding percentages sum to 75%, and that the remaining two categories are summative and that their percentages sum to 25%.

As the core of our curriculum, Breaching comprises a full 30% of students’ grades. The Study Guide is a long term assignment that provides students with critical insight into the curriculum with which they are engaging. In Responsibility Groups students periodically rate the other members of the group using an evaluation known as the RTSS. CBMs, or Curriculum Based Measures, allow both students and teachers to track progress over time. In order to help students understand the structure of the discipline they must work to synthesize the fragments of knowledge that they develop by delving into their breaches. As such, Synthesis assignments account for 10% of a student’s final grade. Tests allow students to track how much they have learned during a unit of study. Lastly, students prepare a brief of their learning for their teammates. These briefs provide an opportunity for students to summarize what they have learned and to learn from others.


Grading Policies

1.     Students should be permitted to turn in work late in all classes, within a reasonable time frame. Points may be deducted for work turned in late.

2.     All grades must be entered and kept public on Skedula so that grades are transparent and to allow student support staff and families access to student grades.

3.     No part of a student’s grade should be based solely on behavior.  Participation may be factored into a student’s grade only in cases where it has a direct impact on a student’s formative or summative assessment.

4.     Academic dishonesty, including cheating and plagiarism, is taken seriously at UAGC. For the first occurrence of academic dishonesty the student is to receive no credit, but should be given an opportunity to make up the assessment. If a student commits a second offence, that student should receive no credit and the issue should be immediately referred to the principal.

5.     All final grades (report cards and transcripts) must be entered into an official EGG spreadsheet using the conversion below.

6.     If a student is in a year-long cumulative course and fails the first semester, he or she may receive credit for the entire year if he or she passes the second semester and if the teacher recommends annualization of the student’s grade.

7.     Students who pass the first semester of a year-long course, fail the second semester, yet pass the Regents for that course must make up credit for the second semester in summer school, during an intervention block, or through in-school online learning programs.

8.     Students who receive low scores on assessments should be given multiple opportunities to re-learn and to demonstrate proficiency of the skills and content.